Monday, October 10, 2011

Thankful.

There are a few pricks to having dual citizenship.

Today, we celebrate Canadian thanksgiving. Next month, we celebrate the American.

Unfortunately, because school, work, and appointments do not recognize anything special today, here in the States, life carries on as normal. So it's thanksgiving...just a reminder to me that everyday can be a day to give thanks.

In another light, since Canadian thanksgiving falls close to the start of a new year for me, it's a great time to say thank You for the blessings of another year of life.

Seventeen was the age I looked forward to since I was eleven. I'm not exactly sure why, except that I met a very godly, sweet and caring seventeen year old girl that year who I looked up to a lot. She was my counselor at YD camp my very first year there...and one of the best camp counselors I ever had! 

Looking back on this year, seventeen is still my favorite year...and I am thankful....

for...
  • The challenges I faced,
  • The tears, triumphs, character and scholastic development through my first year of school,
  • The old cassette. in the car that would sing Jesus Never Fails, One Day at a Time, Walk with Me and so many other songs that would turn me to Jesus when I needed Him most
  • The drives to school  where I just talked to God all the way there...and all the way back
  • My mom and dad who encouraged and helped me
  • My sister moving into my room..I love having a roommate:)
  • My whole family growing, stretching, reaching for the mark He has set for us
  • A beautiful garden--lots of fruits and veggies:)
  • New experiences
  • All that I learned and did at Youth for Jesus this summer
  • My new and special friends
  • That I've learned to LOVE to read
  • Prayer
  • My Jesus --who is real, who loves not just me but every single person that I meet plus the whole world
  • The opportunity to be a laborer together with HIM.
  • That this was the year that I learned the most, grew the most, loved Him the most, and realized the intensity of the moments we live in the most
  • That this is one step closer to when He comes to take us home.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the encouragement, Vanessa. I haven't been focusing on being thankful lately. School, stress, busy-ness...they tend to get in the way. So thanks for the reminder. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. And still best age ever. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. (: Happy Birthday, Vanessa!! I hope this year is even better than before, full of many awesome memories and a deeper relationship with Him. :) Praying for you, love and miss you! See you in a couple months! (SO exciting!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Vanessa, happy birthday. I am so proud of you. The Lord has a special future for you. Pepere

    ReplyDelete