Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Write Them On My Heart

"Keep my commandments, and live; and my law as the apple of thine eye. Bind them upon thy fingers. Write them upon the tablets of thine heart. "Proverbs 7:2-3
My laws. My Commandments.Without them, happiness would not exist. But though created for the blessing and benefit of creation, they are looked upon as burdensome.

Why? Perhaps it's because they're deeper than the superficial and external- greater than human will can resolve. They're founded on love- love for God & love for man. God love-humanly impossible to attain to.

We might say it's a heart problem. It's a big one indeed because I've discovered that I cannot change my heart. And if the essence of His law is love, though I might be able to grit my teeth and pull it off (for awhile), external obedience will not cut it. I cannot make myself keep His law because I cannot make myself love.

But He commands: "Keep my commandments, and live; and my law as the apple of thine eye. Bind them upon thy fingers. Write them upon the tablets of thine heart. "Proverbs 7:2-3
Sometimes it takes a few days of mulling over a verse for it to really click in my brain. The 'click' came with two kindergarten memory verses.
 "I will put my law in their inward parts, and write them on the tablets of their hearts" Jeremiah 31:33 .

He recognizes our weakness to obey in completeness, and so He says, "I will do it in their hearts".

But get this: "The Lord looketh on the heart."1 Sam. 16:7.

It's an amazing picture to me. God, the same God that wrote those laws with His powerful finger in the tablets of stone, has promised to write them on my heart. Then when He looks at my life, he looks at the very place where He has inscribed His law. What He sees is His own beautiful handwriting, his perfection, His goodness.

 Our part in all this?

"The same law that was engraved upon the tables of stone is written by the Holy Spirit upon the tables of the heart. Instead of going about to establish our own righteousness we accept the righteousness of Christ. His blood atones for our sins. His obedience is accepted for us. Then the heart renewed by the Holy Spirit will bring forth “the fruits of the Spirit.” Through the grace of Christ we shall live in bedience to the law of God written upon our hearts. Having the Spirit of Christ, we shall walk even as He walked. Through the prophet He declared of Himself, “I delight to do Thy will, O My God: yea, Thy law is within My heart.” Psalm 40:8. And when among men He said, “The Father hath not left Me alone; for I do always those things that please Him.” John 8:29." {PP 372.2}

The last part of this paragraph finishes my trian of thought. "Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks." Whatever's in my heart will show in my actions. When God's law is written there, my actions are only the product of the work being done inside.

The Link below is a song by the Bonds--my newest favorite. It sums up this whole beautiful concept. It is my prayer.

Write Them on My Heart


No comments:

Post a Comment